Applying to VCAT for Guardianship or Administration orders
You can apply to the Guardianship List of VCAT for a range of orders, including to:
- appoint a guardian to make lifestyle decisions and/or health care decisions;
- appoint an administrator to manage financial and legal affairs;
- revoke an attorney’s appointment, or vary, suspend or make another order in relation to a financial Enduring Power of Attorney under the Instruments Act 1958 Part X1A Div 4 (for example, to rectify a breach, limit an attorney’s authority or request that an attorney produce accounts for an independent audit);
- revoke or suspend an Enduring Power of Attorney (Medical Treatment) under the Medical Treatment Act 1988;
- declare that an Enduring Power of Attorney is invalid.
You may have to accompany an application with relevant reports such as expert medical and/or psychological reports, and reports from other service providers such as social workers or case managers.
The VCAT website has forms and guides for making applications to the List.
In special circumstances, urgent hearings can be scheduled and temporary orders can be made. Video link hearings can be arranged for your client if they are unable to attend at VCAT.