A family member can be appointed as their older relative’s nominee for correspondence or for collecting their relative’s Centrelink payments. The completion of an authorisation form available from the Centrelink website is all that is needed for a person to act on another’s behalf.

These arrangements are usually voluntary and can be cancelled at any time by contacting Centrelink (unless the arrangement is legally enforced, for example, under an Administrator arrangement).